Thursday, February 2, 2012

Corong Corong, El Nido, Palawan

We are going back to Palawan again in two weeks time and I can't help but wonder what facelift El Nido has undergone these past seven years. Last year, on our way to Port Barton, we took the van going to El Nido because we missed the only jeepney going to Port Barton that day. The passengers of that van were mostly foreigners and three locals including myself. I heard the friendly lady told the foreigners the accommodations along Bacuit Bay are fully booked. She said "if you can't find a room in Bacuit Bay, try Corong Corong." Having been to Corong Corong six years ago, I told myself, she must be joking them. Out of curiosity, I politely approached her to ask what's in Corong Corong? I remember there was nothing there in 2005 only a couple of shacks of some locals. She told me, "Oh dear it's all different now. You should visit again so that you will see all the changes." Oh My God! Here we go again, going through the realization that this business acumen thing is never innate in us. Ouch! If we have what it takes to be a real estate magnate, we would have seen the potential of this place but El Nido was just too difficult to reach at that time whether by land, sea or air. We were not ready yet to live a semi-Robinson Crusoe life.


This was Corong corong village seven years ago. Our itchy feet led us to this small fishing village where we became instant attractions to the locals especially the children who followed us everywhere we went. These children scrutinized us with passion like we are aliens from another planet. You will see here that man needs very little to survive. These children have nothing and yet they are genuinely happy.



No comments:

Post a Comment