Tuesday, February 7, 2012

How many more environmental offenders can this island take?

The white beach of Boracay is no doubt the best beach the Philippines has. There's no other beaches that I've been to in the Philippines that has same cool fine white sand, warm turquoise water and perfect depth and slope suitable for swimming. Inspite of  its beauty, this is one destination in the Philippines that does not fascinate me. Instead of  nourishing my soul, it bothers me. Why? This is one place that's been robbed of its natural beauty and people. It seems to me that no one really cares or no one knows how to control and manage the developments on this island. The more I return to this island the more it breaks my heart. Each time I return, I see an ever changing landscape --- structures sprout like mushrooms without any regard and respect to its natural landscape.
 In 2006, this was a lush hill at the end of station 3. This place used to be the hide out of teenage boys who rob tourists of their belongings they left unattended on the beach while they are snorkeling. I can vividly remember that my husband chased those boys until the foot of this hill. He lost track of them since the vegetation was thick and his agility was no match against  those local boys. The landscape is totally different now. I wonder where are all the birds and other wildlife of this hill take refuge now that all the trees and plants that covered this hill have disappeared? I can't help but ask, is it really necessary to chop off this hill to give way to these cottages? Why can't they build in harmony with the natural landscape?


I wonder how many wildlife did they disturb and hurt in building this tunnel so that the guests of the new shishi poopoo resort will have an easy access to the white beach.

 The scenario is not different in Bulabog Beach. This was in 2006 where a few vacation houses seem to hide against the lush greenery.

Three years later, there are already sore thumbs sticking out on top of this cove. It looks like everybody wants a piece of this island. I think my own people will never stop building until this island can take no more.

If you are not a kite surfer and your itchy feet happen to bring you to Bulabog Beach, you would think that it would be nice to walk on this crystal clear shallow water. What you don't know is, you will be walking on an endless sea bed of garbage. It seems no one really cares to clean-up this other side Boracay and it's really sad. :(
 
I am so envious of the way the Malaysian government manages their tourist destinations. The Tunku Abdul Rahman Marine Park that comprises of four islands is obviously way too commercialized and yet the virgin forests of those islands remain untouched. I can only drool in envy!

Gaya Island

Manukan Island


There are few accommodations at islands of Tunku Abdul Rahman Marine Park and most of them are expensive. I think this is their way to keep the tourists away and just let them opt for a day trip. Many are complaining that the corals of these islands have been destroyed by too much tourists but I haven't seen any island in the Philippines that has school of fish just near the shore like Manukan Island has.


My dear Philippines, let us learn from Malaysia that was able to hit that multi-million tourist mark while keeping most of their natural attractions intact.

No comments:

Post a Comment